Nakivo has just released a new beta which has an interesting functionality – a real-time replication. This is interesting as it allows you to reduce the RTO to a minimum. With traditional replication when setup let's say each half an hour or each hour, you obviously lose the last hour or last half hour of your work, but real-time? Minimum loss.
This Real-Time replication feature works only when you install a software module called I/O filter. The I/O Filter is a software module that installs into a cluster and allows intercepting and manipulating VM's I/O. In order to create and run a VMware Real-Time replication job, the source cluster(s) must have the I/O Filter tool installed.
Screenshot from Nakivo showing the new Job type called VMware vSphere Real-Time replication job.
What is a Journal Service?
Let's see what we can find about this on Nakivo's site, within the help center.
We can find the installation process within the Nakivo help center. There are quite a few steps to accomplish, starting the installation of the VMware ESXi VIB which is the actual I/O filter. By installing the VIB on your ESXi, you'll basically create an I/O filter daemon on each host within your cluster.
Then you'll have to create a new VM storage policy (nothing difficult, just follow the Nakivo Help Center page here).
- Hosts need to be manually put into maintenance mode during the I/O Filter update.
- The ESXi host's acceptance level must be set to a Community level. Therefore, only clusters using baselines are supported (no clusters using a single image are supported).
- To check a host's acceptance level, select the host and navigate to Configure > System > Security Profile. The acceptance level is displayed under Host Image Profile Acceptance Level.
If you want to test this feature out, with the latest Nakivo Beta, there is also a removal procedure, for the I/O filters.
By continuously copying changes from source VMware vSphere VMs as these changes are being made, Real-Time ReplicationBETA ensures that replica VMs at your secondary site are always up to date with an RPO as low as 1 second.
Join the Beta Program: Try Real-Time Replication
Source: Nakivo 10.10 BETA
More about Nakivo on ESX Virtualization
- Nakivo Backup and Replication 10.9 GA Adds Ransomware Scan as well as Bare Metal Recovery
- Nakivo Backup and Replication 10.9 will be adding Backup Malware scan and more
- Nakivo Backup and Replication 10.8 With vSphere 8 Support and more
- First Backup Vendor with VMware vSphere 8 Support – Nakivo
- How to Add a Physical Server and create a first backup with Nakivo Backup and Replication Software – (New)
- Security Tips for Nakivo Backup and Replication users
- Nakivo 10.7 New Features
- Backup a file share with Nakivo Backup and Replication
- NAS Backup with Nakivo Backup and Replication 10.6
- Nakivo Backup and Replication FREE Edition Features and Limitations
- How to configure immutable backups with Nakivo
- Nakivo Backup 10.3 adds features for MSPs
- SharePoint Online Backup with Nakivo Backup and Replication
- Nakivo Backup and Ransomware Recovery
More posts from ESX Virtualization:
- VMware vCenter Server 8.0 U1b resolves further upgrade issues and adds bunch of security patches
- VMware vCenter Server Appliance 8.0U1a Released
- Homelab v 8.0 (NEW)
- vSphere 8.0 Page (NEW)
- Veeam Bare Metal Recovery Without using USB Stick (TIP)
- ESXi 7.x to 8.x upgrade scenarios
- A really FREE VPN that doesn’t suck
- Patch your ESXi 7.x again
- VMware vCenter Server 7.03 U3g – Download and patch
- Upgrade VMware ESXi to 7.0 U3 via command line
- VMware vCenter Server 7.0 U3e released – another maintenance release fixing vSphere with Tanzu
- What is The Difference between VMware vSphere, ESXi and vCenter
- How to Configure VMware High Availability (HA) Cluster